Run in the CSA elections - deadline extended

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Written by Jeff Rotman

Want to make a difference? Don't like the way things are being run around here? Want to keep things going the way they are? Run in the CSA Elections! Positions are available for the Board of Directors or any of the 5 Executive Commissioners.

The 5 Commissioners of the CSA are full time paid positions. They oversee the day to day business of the CSA as well as begin new initiatives and answer student concerns. They are the 5 most public figures of the CSA, but their portfolios range widely. For a more complete understanding of their roles, check out the bylaws (bylaw 1 section 8 and 9) on our website www.csaonline.ca

The Board of Directors is the highest governing body of the CSA, and as such oversees all affairs of your student government. They make key decisions that affect you like the accreditation of clubs, budget issues, and the long-term vision and direction of the CSA. They are also fully accountable for the actions of the CSA.

Nomination forms are currently open and the deadline has been extended until 4pm on Feb.24th. They can be picked up at the CSA main office on the 2nd floor of the UC. Email with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Comments

1. Posted by: on Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:18am

to whom it may concern:

if you want my vote, it's simple. all you have to do is promise to freeze student fees and even consider the possibility of reducing them- that's the most effective use of student money.

i don't give a crap if you look good in a suit and tie, i don't care if you are the only one offering students donuts and empty promises such as the co-cirricular transcript. it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

and for anyone who thinks freezing student fees is an outrage, consider what the use of coffers has accomplished this year: salary increases for CSA employees of 15%, litigating the pro-life decision (a decision that society will never resolve, but somehow the CSA thought they could), and now a human rights fund, funded through students contributions, to support protesters who have been implicated in unlawful behaviour (i.e. criminals).

2. Posted by: ugly kid joel on Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:21am

it's enough to leave me asking: dude, where's my student government!??

so instead of claiming that you know how to spend my money better than i know how to spend my money and that the world would somehow come to an end without the CSA- GET A GRIP! how about giving the students something back they actually appreciate, specifically their money, or at least not taking as much from them in the first place! especially when it goes towards funding grandiose schemes seemingly thought up after taking one too many bong hits!

3. Posted by: fail on Feb 5, 2009 @ 11:18am

1. the pro-life issue wasn't litigated.
    2. the defence fund is funded with donations, not fees.
    3. in our society, being "implicated in unlawful behaviour" doesn't make you a criminal yet
    4. most CSA fees that increase do so in accordance with the referendum that approved them, meaning the board and the executive don't have the power to just "freeze them". Anyone promising to do so would be lying.

Dear candidates: the worst decision you could possibly make is listening to the uninformed clowns who post here.

4. Posted by: George on Feb 5, 2009 @ 12:57pm

It’s safe to say that “fail” is one of the executives or on the csa board of directors...or somehow closely connected to the aforementioned.

This bothers me on two fronts:

1. As our representative, they are disguising themselves behind another name on their OWN website
    2. They’re suppose to represent and listen to us, instead they refer to us as “uninformed clowns”

The CSA is showing its true colours once again!

5. Posted by: fail on Feb 5, 2009 @ 2:20pm

Here's what I find funny:

When someone actually takes a second to be informed before shooting their mouth off here, it stands out like a sore thumb.

It's not "safe to say" anything more than I'm not a dumbass.

Christ, if you don't want to be called an uninformed clown, don't call the whambulance - stop posting stupid comments!

6. Posted by: itshardtopost on Feb 5, 2009 @ 2:31pm

Stupid, of course, as defined by fail, refers to anyone who doesn't whole-heartedly agree with the CSA.

7. Posted by: fail on Feb 6, 2009 @ 2:59am

itshardtopost, if you or George said it was raining, i'd still look out the window.

your comments are consistently clueless and moronic. This has zero to do with the CSA and everything to do with the fact that you are category A assholes who just shout constantly about things you haven't put the slightest effort into researching or thinking about. You are the lousy drunks at the bar that can't stop telling everyone what they think about everything, even though NO ONE CARES.

why in the name of god would anyone running for the exec listen to you? I wouldn't trust you goofs to calculate the tip on a cup of coffee.

If you're so fucking sure of yourselves, stop complaining on here and run for the executive. Let's see how that goes.

8. Posted by: George on Feb 6, 2009 @ 9:27am

I think we have hit a nerve with you, fail. You have to learn to relax a bit more in life, postings on theCannon really aren’t the things to get your panties (or tighty whities) all in a bunch about.

Deep breaths, deep breaths!

PS - another reason I assume you're with the CSA is because your insulting posts are not being removed. If I were to call you a "lousy drunk", "goof", "asshole", or anything else you have insinuated my post would be removed instantly. In fact, I had a post removed because I referred to one of the Editors as a Communist, which is true because he did run for the Communist Party of Canada. But, alas, your posts are oddly permitted to stay.

9. Posted by: George on Feb 6, 2009 @ 9:32am

Also, why are you always defending the integrity of the CSA if you’re not on of the CSA (as you claim). Do you not think the current CSA is capable of defending themselves? I guess you have even less faith in their abilities than I do. I, at least, believe they can hold their own ground. I just happen to think the ground they stand on is a pile of “organic fertilizer”.

10. Posted by: former CSA director on Feb 6, 2009 @ 2:01pm

If there's one thing I learned from being on the CSA Board, wow, the students are totally losing out $300 on student fees that would have been otherwise better spent. I was embarrassed to be on the board after seeing how dysfunctional it was.

So Fail, which CSA member are you? And how long will it take to get my post removed?

PS I love how you said "You are the lousy drunks at the bar that can't stop telling everyone what they think about everything, even though NO ONE CARES." That's got to be the exact opinion the undergraduates think when it comes to the CSA.

11. Posted by: itshardtopost on Feb 6, 2009 @ 9:38pm

fail:

I actually thought about running for the executive. However, I'm graduating this year and I would like to start my career. While it is tempting to play activist and shout about tuition being too high, I have the common sense to realize that no one would care about it.

12. Posted by: sean on Feb 7, 2009 @ 9:37pm

Dear George and other conservative party members,

The conservative “no government is good government” rhetoric that you post on the cannon is especially thick when it comes to school politics and the CSA. However, if you tone it down, I’m afraid people might take you seriously.

Clearly, you are self interested cowards that thrive in the anonymity of online discussion boards. Stop whining, grow a backbone and do something.

sean

13. Posted by: itshardtopost on Feb 7, 2009 @ 9:47pm

sean:

especially thick when it comes to school politics? hardly. What does the CSA do that's so all-important? other than having negotiated a cheaper bus pass for a subpar city transit service, many years ago.

PS, I'm not a conservative party member, not even a conservative voter! I think you'll find when you get out into the world that if someone doesn't agree with a radical left-wing position, that doesn't necessarily make them a radical right-winger.

14. Posted by: sean on Feb 7, 2009 @ 10:30pm

Dear "itshardtopost",

Good try, but I’m not radical left. I’m just sick of your pissing and moaning.

sean

15. Posted by: fail on Feb 7, 2009 @ 10:57pm

"Former CSA director":

After wasting time serving on the board of an organization that you clearly despise (I note no mention of resigning, despite your supposed "embarrassment"), you now spend your free time haunting that same organization's poorly-run and troll-ridden online message boards, discussing said organization.

That's just sad, man.

16. Posted by: George on Feb 9, 2009 @ 10:53am

sean and fail,

If you’re sick of “pissing and moaning” on here, just don’t read it, it seems like a simple enough solution to me.

I thought hippies were suppose to be caring and loving, why so much resentment and anger?

17. Posted by: Libertarian_1 on Feb 14, 2009 @ 4:10pm

this seems like a serious problem! perhaps it's best if we just reset the student fees to zero and start over again!

i mean, sure, perhaps a fee for the radio station CRFU seemed brilliant during the golden age of radio, but we've moved far beyond that. afterall, we can now listen to radio on our laptops. so why do we continue to support dinosaur CSA programs such as this and others?

and, fail, you mean to tell me that lawyers weren't consulted during the pro-life... scandal? i bet they were! and i bet they weren't working pro bono either! meaning, they got paid by the CSA, or more accurately, by students!

dear candidates: don't listen to fail. you can establish a referendum to freeze/eliminate student fees. all you have to do is try. however, people like fail don't want that because you might succeed and accomplish something useful.

people like fail are the 'second-handers' ayn rand warned us about in her novel, the fountainhead. read it and you'll understand! you'll find enlightenment! but beware the of the haters who'll encourage you not to; who'll mock her and i. for it is these class of characters who you should truly fear!

18. Posted by: someone who cares on Mar 2, 2009 @ 4:13pm

A message to all those posting.

If you like how the CSA is working - or feel as though you can see some benefit in the CSA - good for you - join up to be a part of the movement.

If you don't like how the CSA is working (or not working, should that be your opinion) - good for you - join up so you can change it. If you really feel that you are most like your fellow students in saying the CSA is useless (whether it is or it isn't) then you WOULD be voted in if you ran, then you and your peers could change it to be exactly what it is you want it to be.

An aside -

As for all this talk about freezing tuition fees, do you understand the way the world economy works - if something isn't given a monetary value, it is devalued in society (whether it should be or not - fact is, it is!) so pay for your education because its worth it! Not that we should have to face prohibative fees, students shouldn't - but it is unrealistic to think it'd be free!

that's it that's all....